Meeting started at 7:35pm
Attendance: 51 members
Secretary: Previous minutes shared and approved. Brad Bullock motioned, David Scarborough seconded. Treasurer
- Many fundraisers coming up
- NYC intent forms due Oct. 11
- All credits applied to band accounts by this weekend; email treasurer if you do not receive your statement next week
- Color Guard: Adding finishing touches to show; thanks for sewing help on Saturday; lost silks found before competition.
- Band Captain: Having fun & winning trophies; competition next weekend; game Friday; thanks parents.
- Durham Bulls: Wrapping up; final checks from Centerplate by early November; stand leaders please turn in all tips to Jean Burroughs or Neal Smith; renovations, including new stands, underway at Bulls stadium; Neal to contact Centerplate to explore stand options for upcoming season.
- NCSU Lemonade Stands: Slots did get filled last weekend; band made around $1000; first 3 games earned $2952.00; need other groups to help fill slots on 10/12, 11/2 and 11/22; penalty for each unfilled slot.
- PNC: NCSU Basketball games will be added for December; everything else filled through end of year; standby slots may be needed in addition to regular slots so please sign up for standby; January 1st all workers required to provide own band polo; polo must be current ADHS Band blue polo (logo not
required); can order blank polo from band spirit wear for $15; indicate PNC on order form; until January 1, please place borrowed polo in back in bag before leaving stand.
- State Fair: Starts October 17th; only 9 slots left and those are on Sanderson competition day; class band students sign up on poster in band room if they can work event; if not going to Sanderson competition, please sign up; will reach out to other school groups for volunteers.
- BBQ: 35 slots open; need volunteers to distribute flyers to businesses; day of BBQ need drivers, volunteers for teacher/student sales and baked goods from everyone; BBQ signs will be displayed at football game Friday.
- Kroger Cards: Paying out to student accounts approximately every 2 months.
- Fruits & Nuts: Kickoff October 17 at Fall Concert; 3 week duration; delivered 1st week of December. ▪ Scrip Cards: Mini-seminars at Merchant home Sunday (10/6) and Tuesday (10/8) on how to use site and how to sign up.
- Sponsorships: Information, contact list, FAQ and packet available on Sponsor Program page under Fundraiser tab of band website; packet and form available on Forms page; September sponsorships totaled $3850; 2013 to date at $4100. 25% of sponsorship amount credited to student account.
- Communications: If not receiving band emails, go to Communications page of website for instructions on how to sign up; very important; if know other band families not receiving emails, please have them sign up; follow @athensdriveband.com on twitter or text “40404 follow @athensdriveband”; like “Athens Drive Band Alumni, Friends & Members” facebook page.
- Mattress Sale: 85-90% of sales are personal referrals; goal 128 mattresses gets $20,000 for band; phone calls get folks in; flayers available; put band students name on flyer and if sale student earns cash; Restonic and Southerland brands; 100% warranty; pricing 30% -60% less with range from $199 to $1999; complete sets; accepts checks, cash, credit cards, lay away; website
customfundraisingsolutions.com; delivery available or can pickup off West Gate Road in Raleigh; take off old mattress for $25; talking to students on October 25th; kickoff October 17th at fall concert.
- Knight’s Play Golf: Gobble Golf “fun”raiser; November 7th, 7pm at Knight’s Play; anyone can play; $10 for walkers, $15 for riders ($2 goes to band); groups of 4-5 compete with other groups; best 2 scores is group score; Jim Merchant taking signups and pay November 6th band hallway 2:20- 2:45pm or can signup and pay day of event at Knight’s Play.
- Public Relations: Alicia Garner new chair; putting up BBQ and mattress flyers on community boards this weekend; does external advertising for events and fundraisers; contacts newspaper, Athens Alert, television, with band related announcements.
- BJs: Runs October 7-21; renew membership and save $10-$20 plus get 15 months instead of 12; renewals extend current membership even if just renewed; $5 per renewal donated back to band. Form on website by Sunday.
- Belk Charity Day Sales: November 9th 6am-10am; purchase tickets from JoMarie Holtshouser and Brad Bullock; tickets $5 each but serves as $5 discount for purchaser and $5 donation to ADAF; shop early November 3-9 and Belks will hold merchandise until after sale and still allow use of coupon and honor sale pricing.
- Raffle: Solicit area businesses for raffle items to be raffled off at Holiday Concert in December.
Composite Pictures by Just Smiles Photography
- Marching Band composite photos during class Tuesday-Friday next week; guard photos and non class band during lunch; uniform photos for marching band; offering concert attire and casual photos for all band students; flexible, less expensive packages than previously company; photos available for next day online viewing at http://www.myjustsmile.com/Galleries/AthensBand; login Athens with password students1314; works best under Safari and Internet Explorer; not iPad compatible; galleries listed by class/section; pricing per sheet; online ordering; can mix sand match sizes and poses on a sheet; group photo to be taken before Raleigh Parade; tax included in pricing; form on “Forms” page of band website; available at school October 30 3-7pm for parents wishing to order in person; accepts credit cards, cash and checks; do not put credit card information a form sent in to school, leave blank and call with info; photo sessions, referrals and gift certificates through June 30, 2014 puts 10% in student’s band account; band earns percentage of all sales.
- $995 for Wind Ensemble students; $895 for non-performers; $495 for chaperones; $200 for bus riders only to/around/from NYC; $100 for NYC area bus riders only
- 3 dinners and 1 breakfast provided; plan $100 extra for other meals
- Provided trip highlights and areas being considered for sight seeing
- Extra rooms reserved for families traveling on their own; Hilton Midtown $349/night Director
- Band performing State Fair opening in 2 weeks; playing at special events for area elementary schools; marching 3 area parades; performing at football, soccer games; competitions; by next meeting, all games and competitions completed
- Thanks to parents for all of their help
- November 1st is 8th grade night; November 8th is Senior Recognition
- October 17 Fall Concert; no Marching Band practice on 16th or 17th
- Dresses and tuxes are in; pick up on way out
- Competition scoring; Music 40%, Marching 30%, General Effect 30%; Drum Major, Color Guard and Percussion scored independently and not part of overall placing
- Clinicians coming into class bands each week; students getting more professional instruction than ever before
- Students in our band program show exponential growth in music skills from freshman year to senior year
- Thank you to Matt Baker’s family for the new sousaphone stands; to Ryan and Rachel Smith’s family for new Wind Ensemble folders and Frank Castlebury for new sign hanging outside the band entrance
- Wish list for $600 African Drums
- Rose Bowl is next major goal; need 150+ students; can fill in with alumni; need to prove we can fund raise; Carnegie testing ground for fundraising
- Would like to eventually march New Year’s Eve Parade in London
- Triton competition performance around 3:30pm with South View’s performance around 8pm ▪ Havelock competition allows students time on the beach
- Susan Cowles presented Athens Drive Stadium Renovations updates.
- ADHS Stadium project now fully funded; stadium possibly completed a year earlier (fall 2014 instead of 2015)
- Williams Stadium will serve track and field only; new stadium to be built on athletic practice field near senior lot
- Requesting input on band needs regarding new stadium and its amenities
- Vote for school bond on Oct. 8th; bond still includes $3 million for Athens Drive HS Meeting ended at 9:40pm
Next meeting November 14, 2013 7:30pm