Dear Athens Drive H.S. Band Parent,
There are 15 school days between Thanksgiving and Christmas Break and our band will be very busy “jingle-jangling” in many different ways! It’s really a wonderful time of the year for MUSIC!
1) Our marching band will be performing for the Apex and Cary Christmas Parades on Dec. 7th and 14th respectively. Information to be sent under separate cover.
2) Caroling before school each morning: band members in our Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Concert Band will be performing holiday carols at 3 different locations in our school between 7:00-7:20am. See more information below.
3) Caroling at our Dewey’s store in Waverly Place: several of our band members will be performing on these Sundays in December (1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd) from 1:00-4:00pm. See more information below.
4) Our Drumline will be performing their unique rendition of “The Little Drummer Boy” on Sunday, Dec. 15th at 5:15pm in our auditorium before the movie that our resident church organization, Ekklesia shows each year. They will also be performing at the beginning of our Grand Holiday Concert on Dec. 17th at 7:00pm.
5) Our Grand Holiday Concert will be Dec. 17th at 7:00pm featuring our Concert Band, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble. This is our most popular concert of the year!
6) Members of our Concert Band, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble have exchanged names for a Secret Santa gift-giving throughout the 15 days of December. Big gifts are given on Dec. 20th–the last day of school before the holidays.
My favorite part of the holidays is the MUSIC…I never grow weary of the little tunes as well as the big ones–like Leroy Anderson’s “A Christmas Festival” that we perform at the conclusion of our holiday concert. It truly is “the most wonderful time of the year.” With all the hustle and bustle that is often associated with this season, try to make time to just ENJOY it!
BAND CAROLING 2019
The “holidays” are a wonderful time of year for MUSIC! In fact, can you imagine the holidays without “Sleighride” or “Jingle Bells” in the air? As “the music makers” I believe that we have a special calling to create this music for as many people as we can, thus we announce our December “Band Caroling” campaign!
1) From Dec. 2-20 (15 days), from 7:00am-7:20am, we would like small groups of band students to play carols in three locations in the school: the gym lobby, the library entrance, and the area just outside the main office. Sign-ups are on the uniform cabinet doors in the band room.
2) AND…On Sunday afternoons– Dec. 1, 8, 15, and 22 – we would like small groups of band members to carol outside our Dewey’s Bakery store in Waverly Place from 1:00-4:00pm. Students may sign-up for a 1-hour slot throughout this time period.
For Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band students, performing 3 mornings before school OR 1 one-hour block at Waverly Place will satisfy the “PLAYING PROFICIENCIES” part of your second quarter grade (because it is chamber music).
For Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band students NOT in marching band and who need Honors Credit work for the second quarter, repeat the amount of playing above: play 3 more mornings before school or another one-hour block at Waverly Place.
Concert Band students are welcome to participate in any of the above opportunities as well. You will receive “extra credit” for this effort.
I will also allow our older students to count this type of service as hours toward Tri-M, Key Club, and National Honor Society.
Requirements aside, I want you to experience the JOY in giving music to others! This is such a wonderful opportunity to share your gifts with others!
Gotta luv it! — Doc