Dear Athens Drive H.S. band families,
Here’s the stuff you need to know that is currently on the front burner of our musical stove–
1) Our Spring Concert I, featuring our Concert Band and Jazz Ensemble, is this Thursday, May 9 at 7:00pm. I am encouraging our older students–particularly our section leader/captain candidates–to attend to support our younger musicians! We are family!
2) We are holding orientation evenings for all new marching band members next week 6:30-8:30pm: Monday OR Tuesday, 5/13 or 5/14 for woodwinds and brass; Monday thru Thursday, 5/13-16 for guard and percussion. We have learned that 95% of the students that attend these orientations end up in our program. It is so important to talk these orientations up! Remember, we can teach a motivated student how to play an instrument. High school students are amazing in this regard! Sign-up for marching band can be done by visiting our website: www.athensdriveband.com . Sign-ups are due Friday, June 7.
3) Our Spring Concert II, featuring our Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble, will be on Tuesday, May 21 at 7:00pm. It will be the last high school performance by our seniors! (Bring some tissues…sob)
4) We will be posting the leadership roster for our marching band on Friday at 2:18pm in the band room area. This is a very exciting time for our band; however, it will be disappointing for some. I have discussed with the students the importance of maintaining perspective and reacting in a mature, positive manner. I sincerely wish we could appoint everyone a position; however, that would simply not be realistic–and the kids readily agree. Please know that a great deal of thought has gone into these decisions by several people, including Mr. Mares, our music staff, and the graduating seniors. We need EVERYONE to get on board with the new leadership crew and make next year’s marching band the best we have ever had at Athens Drive! Remember, in the end everyone can be a leader in their own circle.
5) Here’s another wish…that band was FREE. But it’s not… That said, I do not want any student to be discouraged from joining our band due to financial constraints. The most important thing is to COMMUNICATE. Our booster board is comprised of a very compassionate group of people who truly want to help dreams come true. For those of you carrying the burden of wanting your child to participate but worried about the financial end of things, please COMMUNICATE with us. Any letter sent to our treasurers or presidents (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org ) will remain strictly confidential. The reality that we learned from our London survey was that we do have some terrific families in this program that do need help…and we WANT to help you rather than spend the money on a large trip. But, we need your communication. Please let’s work together so that everyone will benefit. Thank you!
Hope to see many of you on Thursday enjoying the music created by our terrific kids!