The most well-known Honor Band in our area is the East-Central District Honor Band which comprises students exclusively from Wake County. In normal times, students audition for this band in early January and the students who are selected perform in an “Honor Band” a few weeks later. As these are NOT normal times, it has been decided that our District is going to have interested students submit a recording for their audition; however, NO HONOR BAND PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN PLANNED AT THIS TIME.
In light of these factors, I am neither encouraging nor discouraging participation in this event. Although there is a definite benefit to learning material (scales, arpeggios, solo) and making a recording, it is very different from auditioning “live.” The fact that NO actual honor band performance has been planned takes away much of the incentive. (Please note that it is possible that an Honor Band will meet later in the spring; however, no information has been made available.)
If you would like to audition:
- You need to visit the East Central District Bandmasters Association website at ECDBA to find required scales & arpeggios, chromatic range, and solos.
- You will need to make a video recording between noon on Wednesday, January 6 and noon on Friday, January 8.
- The recording will include all your scales, an excerpt of your solo, and the “sight reading” piece.
- You will receive the exact excerpt of your solo and the “sight reading” selection at noon on January 6. That’s right – it really is not “sight reading” as you have about 2 days to learn it! And you will have about 2 days to learn the exact excerpt from your solo that you are to play.
- Your video will be evaluated on Saturday, January 9th and you should get results the following week.
- If you want to audition, you will need to let me know via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, December 11th. There is a $10 fee for auditioning that will be deducted from your band account. If you do not have funds in your account to cover this cost, we will contact you to arrange payment options. You will need to include your name, grade, instrument and email in your note to Doc.
- Auditionees will receive more information concerning recording formatting, etc. in a few weeks.
I would like to hear all auditionees play for me the week of January 4th either live or virtually; we will discuss options in a few weeks as well.
Once again, you are under no obligation to participate in this event; however, I realize that it may still be motivational and rewarding to you even with these alterations.
Just let me know.