Dear Athens Drive Band Family,
The purpose of this letter is to provide you with a few reminders about beginning “in-person school” on Wednesday, February 17. I am grateful that we can begin working directly with students and will strive to make the best use of your time.
1) All students must receive a health-screening when they report to school either at the gym entrance, library entrance, or bus drop-off area. Upon satisfactorily meeting requirements (i.e. you don’t have a temperature higher than 100.4) you will receive a wrist band. BAND STUDENTS CANNOT ENTER THE BUILDING IN THE MORNING THROUGH THE BAND HALL ENTRANCE. I’m sorry, I do not have the wrist bands and am not permitted to check you in this way.
2) You MAY DROP OFF YOUR INSTRUMENT IN THE BAND ROOM before 1st period once you receive the health screening and wrist band. Then you do not need to carry your instrument around with you. I will be in the band room to direct you to places where you can store your instrument.
3) YOU MUST EAT IN THE CAFETERIA. Sorry, students are only permitted to each their lunch at designated places in the cafeteria. You may not eat in the band room or “hang out” in this area even after finishing your lunch. I’m sorry, we must adhere to these safety protocols for everyone’s protection.
4) MARCHING BAND STUDENTS MUST REPORT TO THE BAND ROOM IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING SCHOOL DISMISSAL (AT 2:18). Bring a snack and water for after school rehearsal along with appropriate attire. You can store these items in the band room near your instrument at the start of the school day.
5) STUDENTS ARRIVING TO CAMPUS AFTER SCHOOL FOR MARCHING BAND WILL CHECK IN AT OUR PRACTICE FIELD AS USUAL.
6) “IN-PERSON STUDENTS” MUST BRING THEIR LAPTOP/DEVICE FOR BAND AS YOU DO FOR YOUR OTHER CLASSES. A part of the band period will be spent doing “Music Appreciation”. If you have your device, it will be easier for you, even though you will be in front of me while I teach. We are going to split each period with 40 minutes of “Music Appreciation” and 40 minutes of playing. Remember, the MAJORITY of students in every class will be virtual, so I want to meet everyone’s needs. We will be conducting our virtual classes at the following times: Wind Ensemble: 8:10am; Concert Band: 11:05am; Symphonic Band: 1:20pm. Virtual students are “free” the remainder of their “band period” while I work with the “in-person” students.
I am confident that this will work and that our school will be safe, provided you exercise appropriate measures (mask-up, wash-up, social distance-up). I love our administration and I know that they have been working very hard to make sure that you will have a healthy and rewarding experience back “at the Drive!”
Can’t wait to start “seeing” all of you again.