September 23, 2019
Dear marching band student and parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our FOURTH HOME FOOTBALL GAME this Friday, and our FIRST & SECOND COMPETITION this Saturday.
HOME FOOTBALL GAME (ATHENS VS. HERITAGE)
Friday, September 27, 2019
Report to ADHS band room 5:30pm
-Change into full uniform
Warm-up in front (junior) parking area 6:00pm
Walk to staging area 6:20pm
March to stadium 6:35pm
Game begins 7:00pm
Halftime performance @7:50pm
Dismissal (at flagpole near gym entrance) @9:45pm
Students will be wearing their FULL UNIFORM for this performance. Be certain to wear a tee shirt under the uniform, but NOT THE SHOW SHIRT as we will need this for Saturday (unless you want to do some quick washing after the game). Students will need their flip folders and lyres; they should also bring a small amount of money for drinks/snacks following their performance (during 3rd quarter).
I realize that it will be a bit warm on Friday evening; we will allow the students to take off their jacket while in the stands. Please understand that we need to march in full uniform before our competitions on Saturday in order to get the feel of the “whole thing!”
WE NEED PARENTS TO HELP US WITH MOVING EQUIPMENT TO AND FROM THE FIELD! Dr. Michaud is meeting with the front ensemble students at 5:15pm to move all the percussion to our field. We will also need parents to help move equipment back to the school after our halftime performance. This worked very well last week—thank you!
- PLEASANT H.S. & HICKORY RIDGE H.S.
MARCHING BAND COMPETITIONS
Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019
Report to Athens 9:30am
-Load uniforms, instruments, equipment
Inspection (senior parking lot) 10:15am
Depart for MPHS (via activity bus) 10:30am
-Eat lunch in route (on own)
Arrive MPHS 1:00pm
-Receive healthy snack provided by boosters
-Stretch, change into uniform, warm-up
PERFORMANCE #1 3:00pm
Reload instruments, uniforms, and equipment
Depart MPHS for Hickory Ridge 4:00pm
Note: Only our drum major, band captain, 1 percussion captain and 1 guard captain will remain at Mt. Pleasant H.S. to attend the awards ceremony which will begin at 4:30pm and should conclude at 5:15pm. These students will be driven to Hickory Ridge H.S. by select chaperones.
Arrive Hickory Ridge H.S. 4:30pm
-Eat meal provided by boosters
PERFORMANCE #2 7:00pm
Change into comfortable clothes; load instruments 7:30pm
Awards Ceremony 8:30pm
-Receive snack for trip home
Depart Hickory Ridge 10:00pm
Arrive Athens Drive 12:30am
Important Competition Day Logistics
1) Students may dress comfortably on the bus to and from Charlotte. I have decided not to require the blue tee be worn in transit; however, STUDENTS MUST BRING THE BLUE SHOW SHIRT TO WEAR UNDER THEIR UNIFORM.
2) BRING A HEALTHY LUNCH—INCLUDING BEVERAGE—TO EAT ON THE WAY TO CHARLOTTE. THE BOOSTERS WILL BE PROVIDING A SNACK UPON ARRIVAL AT MT. PLEASANT H.S., A DINNER WHEN WE ARRIVE AT HICKORY RIDGE H.S., AND A SECOND SNACK BEFORE WE HEAD BACK HOME.
3) Students will remain in their bibs and show shirt between performances. (They will remove their jacket, hat, and gloves.)
4) Students will change back into comfortable clothes following their 7:00pm performance. These can be the same clothes that they traveled in to Charlotte.
5) Our arrival time home (12:30am) is our best guess. We are usually accurate (within the ½ hour); however, due to the multitude of variables that surround events such as this and the number of students involved, adjustments may have to be made. The safety/well-being of the students is our primary concern. We will contact you via the REMIND system as to the progress of our journey home. If we run ahead or behind schedule more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you. We also ask that the students be picked up within ½ hour of our arrival. We do not want our parents/staff to wait at school for a prolonged period of time after such a long day. Thank you for your consideration!
6) If you are planning to attend the competition and would like to drive your child home, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
7) Please know that we use competition as a tool to achieve further excellence. It is vital to remember that “deep-down,” we compete against ourselves, not against others. This is one of the most challenging aspects of our program; however, it can be one of the most rewarding, provided that we maintain a healthy perspective. The students will always be winners if they work hard, do their best, and behave with “honor, pride, and dignity.”
8) Although this competition is approximately 2 hours away by car, we enthusiastically invite all parents, family, and friends to travel to Charlotte to enjoy our performances and root on our band! YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE! Plus, you’ll get to see TWO SHOWS in one day. What a bargain! I have attached the entire schedule for each competition—I would encourage you to arrive early and stick around to watch the other fine bands performing!
IT’S TIME TO TAKE THIS WONDERFUL MARCHING BAND ON THE ROAD TO SHARE OUR FINE CHARACTER, ENTHUSIASM AND TALENT WITH COMMUNITIES ACROSS NORTH CAROLINA!
YA GOTTA LUV IT!!