Hey Band Families,
Marching Band is underway and we are so excited. I am thankful to be partnering with you all as part of the First Aid Group to make sure our precious High School kids are SAFE and have fun. It was so great to have an opportunity to be with our students at Band Camp this year. It was hard work but productive.
After much discussion and thought we want to strongly encourage parents and students to work together in regards to Over the Counter Medications. High School is a wonderful time for us as parents to start and continue to work on educating our smart students about these medications. It is a great time in their life to encourage independence with guidance.
Some important information that could be given to students:
1. Is medication (like Tylenol, ibuprofen, Tums, Benadryl, etc.) really needed? Or can something else be done, like eating something, drinking water and Gatorade, icing down an injury or cleaning a rash area?
2. What is the medication used for?
3. How often can the student take the medication?
4. How much medication should be taken?
5. If the student takes the medication how do they tell us as parents? (We use text messaging in my house so it there is a “time stamp” for future knowledge.
6. If the student seems to need repeat use of a medication should they be followed up by their Pediatrician.
7. It is important to NEVER share medications.
As such, we are asking as parents that you continue to have conversations with your students about over the counter medications and equip for after school practice, football games, competitions, parades, and other band activities. We are asking parents to provide their students with small amounts medications they would permit the student to have. Remember the education part of the discussion and follow up with your students. It is amazing how quickly they learn and how smart they are. This is another step in the journey of independence and adulthood for our High School Kids. The good news is they are not alone.
First Aid will continue to carry small amounts of medications such as Tylenol, ibuprofen, Tums, and Benadryl. As part of the First Aid Committee I look forward to continuing to work with all of the students and helping them to do their best and stay safe. Thank you for all you do to help the students and the band be successful. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns.
First Aid Medical Committee
Athens Drive Band