Dear Athens Drive Marching Band student and parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our SECOND home football game next Thursday April 1st). You will note that the information is basically the same as our first game – just a little earlier reporting time because we are not rehearsing next week. Yes, that’s right – THERE ARE NO REHEARSALS SCHEDULED FOR NEXT WEEK (SPRING BREAK); however, we will be rehearsing after school the following week, April 5-9 even though school does not start until Thursday, April 8th. Our third and final football game is Friday, April 9th.
If you are unable to attend the football game next week, April 1st, please email me so that I have something in writing and have an accurate account of who will be attending. When I questioned the students earlier this week, it appeared that most will be attending so we will be able to perform the halftime show!
HOME FOOTBALL GAME (ATHENS VS. JORDAN)
Thursday, April 1, 2021
Report to ADHS in full uniform 5:00pm
Instrument cases and hat boxes may be stored in band room
Front ensemble will assist parent field crew with loading instruments onto truck
Warm-up in the parking area in front of school 5:15pm
Walk to staging area 5:55pm
March to stadium 6:10pm
-Students will be wearing their backpacks
Pregame (Star Spangled Banner/Fight Song) 6:20pm
Game begins 6:30pm
Halftime performance @7:20pm
Dismissal (at flagpole near gym entrance) @8:45pm
- Students will be wearing their FULL UNIFORM for this performance. You may wear shirt of choice under the jacket – but please wear a shirt! Also, don’t forget to wear black socks and black shoes (if not issued marching shoes). Students are to report to the school in full uniform but may carry their hat and gloves in the hat box for convenience. Once they arrive at the school, they may store their instrument case and hat box in the band room. If they elect not to enter the building, they may keep their hat box and instrument case in their car.
- Students will need to bring a BACKPACK containing a large towel (beach towel is perfect), their flip folder of music and lyre, extra mask(s) and a snack for 3rd quarter (if desired). We will provide them with a bottle of water. The concession stand will not be open, and we will be positioned on the track during the game. The band is not permitted in the stands, so the towel will provide a more comfortable (and clean) sitting area during the game. Although we will be standing much of the time (playing pep tunes), we will have some time to sit or “take a knee.”
- We will be WEARING THE BACKPACK when we march into and out of the stadium before and after the game. Percussion and tubas may store their backpacks on a wagon which will be located in the band hallway.
- WEAR A MASK! The wind players will be wearing masks at all times when we are not actively playing—and percussion must wear a mask at all times. We will be positioned 6’+ apart while on the track and during most other times even when we are moving/performing.
- Battery percussion can load instrument stands on box truck; we will take a few extra towels for the tubas (so that you may place the instruments on the track when not playing).
- We will march back to the school and dismiss around the flagpole, located near the band room outside the gymnasium entrance. 8:45pm is our best estimate; sometimes the games run longer. If not attending the game, please be prepared to pick-up your student(s) in a timely manner. The staff and chaperones normally remain at school for about 20 minutes following dismissal.
We had a terrific experience for our first game last week and I am looking forward to another special performance next week. We have added our middle movement to the show (“Beauty & the Beast”) and have spiced up our marching with more visuals.
Thank you for your support of your child’s education and our wonderful band program!