Dear FIRST PLACE Marching Band Student and Parent,
Let’s “TOOT OUR HORN”:
What a remarkable weekend we just had! At our evening show, our band won FIRST PLACE BAND IN CLASS, which included FIRST PLACE drum major, percussion, music, and general effect. We also took a FIRST PLACE in our afternoon show in the categories of drum major and marching.
I am so happy for our band – students, leaders, parents, staff! We work so hard and do it in a way that is so healthy and makes even a very challenging day enjoyable. Mr. Mares was elated upon hearing the news of our accomplishments; we truly are the #1 ambassador for Athens Drive!
The logistics for this Saturday will be MUCH EASIER! (And much more comfortable as the heat is supposed to break Friday evening…)
First of all, there is no home football game, so you are FREE on Friday evening! Yay!!!
Listed below is the schedule that we will be following for our competition on Saturday:
MIDWAY H.S. MARCHING BAND COMPETITION
Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019
Field crew reports to Athens 1:00pm
Report to Athens 1:30pm
Rehearsal in NEW STADIUM 1:45pm
Rehearsal concludes 3:30pm
Change into bibs and show shirt
Inspection (senior parking lot) 4:45pm
Depart for MHS (via activity bus) 5:00pm
Eat dinner in route (on own)
Arrive MHS 6:30pm
Receive healthy snack provided
Change into uniform, warm-up
Change into comfortable clothes; 8:45pm
load instruments and equipment
Awards Ceremony 9:50pm
Receive snack for trip home
Depart Midway H.S. 10:30pm
Arrive Athens Drive Midnight
Important Competition Day Logistics
- BRING A HEALTHY DINNER – INCLUDING BEVERAGE, TO EAT ON THE WAY TO MIDWAY H.S. THE BOOSTERS WILL BE PROVIDING A SNACK UPON ARRIVAL AT MIDWAY H.S. AND A SECOND SNACK BEFORE DEPARTURE.
- We will travel to Midway H.S. in our bibs and show shirts (1/2 uniform). However, BRING A COMPLETE CHANGE OF CLOTHES to change into after our performance.
- WE NEED PARENTS TO HELP US WITH MOVING EQUIPMENT TO AND FROM THE FIELD. It’s like church: it’s much more fun to PARTICIPATE than to sit in the pew! Please remember that our band represents our entire band community, as well as the community of Athens Drive. We want to show the world what a great FAMILY we are! Plus, it’s fun to hang around the semi-trailer (“big blue”) and just look cool! …And they’ve got a flat-screened TV in there! …And you might make a friend or two.
- YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE! Whether you can participate or not, PLEASE ATTEND THIS PERFORMANCE! It is the closest competition that we have to home and it is the first one that Midway H.S. is hosting – so you know they will be on their “A game.”
- I have attached the entire schedule for each competition – I would encourage you to arrive early and stick around to watch the other fine bands performing!
As always, THANK YOU for all you do for our kids and our band program!