Dear Marching Band Student and Parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our LAST COMPETITION OF THE SEASON at NORTH DAVIDSON H.S. this Saturday as well as several important dates coming up in November! Please read this entire document.
NORTH DAVIDSON H.S. COMPETITION
Saturday, November 6, 2021
10:15am Report to Athens
10:30am Rehearsal (likely practice field)
Noon Return to bandroom; ½ dress/load equipment/lunch
1:30pm Inspection in senior lot
1:45pm Depart for North Davidson H.S. via activity busses
4:30pm Arrive NDHS, Eat dinner (provided by boosters), Dress/Warm-up
7:50pm Awards Ceremony
8:50pm Depart North Davidson H.S.
11:30pm Arrive Athens Drive
Important Competition Day Logistics
1) Students need to bring the following when they report to Athens at 10:15am: lunch and a backpack containing anything they may want to do on the way to and from the competition, black socks and their SHOW SHIRT for uniform, any clothes they want to wear back to Athens following the competition (including a hoodie/coat).
2) Students MUST REMAIN ON CAMPUS following the late morning rehearsal as there are many responsibilities involved in the transition time. Bring a lunch to eat during this time.
3) Students will “1/2 dress” for the bus ride to NDHS: They will wear their SHOW SHIRT, black bibs, black socks, and black shoes. We will put the jacket, hat, and gloves on shortly before our formal warm-up period at NDHS.
4) Students may change into comfortable clothes following their performance. These can be the same clothes that they wore in the morning rehearsal. Consider bringing a hoodie and coat as the temperatures will be colder.
5) Our arrival time home (11:30pm) is our best guess. We will contact you via the REMIND system as to the progress of our journey home. If we run ahead or behind schedule more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you. We also ask that the students be picked up within ½ hour of our arrival. We do not want our parents/staff to wait at school for a prolonged period of time after such a long day. Thank you for your consideration!
6) If you are planning to attend the competition and would like to drive your child home, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
7) There are 18 bands competing in this event, divided into 4 classes: Class A performs from Noon-1:15pm; Class AA performs from 1:20-3:00; Class AAA performs from 4:35-6:10, and Class AAAA (that’s us) performs from 6:30-7:30pm. There are 3 bands in our class: Athens Drive, Oak Grove, and St. Stephens.
I realize that it is a hike (2 hours by car); but I hope that many of you will consider enjoying a nice scenic ride out to NDHS to route on our band! We’ve had a VERY SUCCESSFUL SEASON, in winnings and most importantly in realizing our potential as musicians and as a team. I am expecting that we will put on our finest show of the season this Saturday!
OTHER IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS
1) Our only rehearsal next week will be on Wednesday, Nov. 10th from 3:00-5:00pm. We will rehearse for our Showcase and learn our Christmas Parade song! We will NOT rehearse on Tuesday the 9th and there is no school on Thursday (Veteran’s Day).
2) Our Marching Band Showcase will be next Friday, Nov. 12th at 7:00pm (as originally scheduled). Additional information about this performance/banquet type activity will be sent early next week.
3) We will have 2 Christmas Parade rehearsals on Nov. 16 & 18 from 3-5:00pm. The Raleigh Christmas Parade is Saturday, Nov. 20. We will also take a formal group picture in our stadium that morning! More information to follow, plan to be available 7:00am-1:00pm.
4) We will be performing for the Waverly Place Tree Lighting around the dinner hour on Friday, November 19th. This will be a uniformed performance by the entire Marching Band. More information to follow!
5) Winter Percussion parent and student interest meeting will be next Monday, November 8th at 7:00pm in the band room. Clinics will be held November 15, 17 and 19th from 3:00-5:00pm. Rehearsals will most likely be M, W, and F afternoons beginning after Thanksgiving. ANY BAND STUDENT may participate in the Winter Percussion Line regardless of experience. We can teach you a percussion instrument provided that you already play another instrument.
6) Information about our Winter Guard will be available soon.
7) Thank you to everyone who parked cars at the State Fair this year! This fundraiser was a HUGE SUCCESS! We could not operate this program at such a high level without you.
8) Our 2 Dewey’s Stores in Waverly Place and the Village District will open on November 13th! YUM! We’ll be organizing some groups to play soon!
Thank you for all you do for our students and our band!