Dear Marching Band student and parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our HOME FOOTBALL GAME this THURSDAY, and our SECOND COMPETITION this Saturday.
HOME FOOTBALL GAME (ATHENS VS. SANDERSON H.S.)
Thursday, September 29, 2022
- Report to ADHS band room 5:30pm
- Change into full uniform
- Warm-up in front (junior) parking area 5:55pm
- Walk to staging area 6:20pm
- March to stadium 6:35pm
- Pregame 6:45pm
- Game begins 7:00pm
- Halftime performance @8:15pm
- Game ends @9:30pm
- Dismissal (at flagpole near gym entrance) @10:00pm
*Percussion and tuba captain(s) must arrange to have their instrument stands placed in the bleachers before the reporting time. This can be done immediately after school or before the 5:00pm report time.
Students will be wearing their FULL UNIFORM for this performance. Be certain to wear a tee shirt under the uniform, but NOT THE SHOW SHIRT as we will need this for Saturday (unless you want to do some quick washing after the game). Remember to bring black socks and BLACK SHOES. Students must also bring a BACKPACK to carry a water bottle,
flip folder with pep band music, lyre, and snack if they do not wish to purchase any from our concessions (following their halftime performance).
MIDDLE CREEK HIGH SCHOOL
MARCHING BAND COMPETITION
Saturday, October 1, 2022
- Report to Athens 1:45pm
- Rehearsal in stadium 2:00pm
- Load/Dress/Light Snack 3:30pm
- Inspection (senior parking lot) 4:45pm
- Depart for MCHS (via activity bus) 5:00pm
- Arrive MCHS 5:20pm
- Warmup 6:20pm
- PERFORMANCE 7:19pm
- Change into comfortable clothes; load instruments and equipment ; eat dinner (provided by boosters) 7:45pm
- Awards Ceremony 10:08pm
- Depart MCHS 11:00pm
- Arrive Athens Drive 11:30pm
Important Competition Day Logistics
1) Students need to bring the following when they report to Athens at 1:45pm: light snack, backpack containing anything they may want to do on the way to and from the competition, black socks and their SHOW SHIRT for uniform, any clothes they want to wear back to Athens following the competition (including a hoodie or light jacket).
2) Students MUST REMAIN ON CAMPUS following the rehearsal as there are many responsibilities involved in the transition time.
3) Students will “1/2 dress” for the bus ride to MCHS: They will wear their SHOW SHIRT, black bibs, black socks, and black shoes. We will put the jacket, hat, and gloves on shortly before our formal warm-up period at MCHS.
4) Students may change into comfortable clothes following their performance. These can be the same clothes that they wore in the morning rehearsal. Consider bringing a hoodie or light jacket as the evenings will begin to get cooler.
5) Our arrival time home (11:30pm) is our best guess. We will contact you via the REMIND system as to the progress of our journey home. If we run ahead or behind schedule more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you. We also ask that the students be picked up within ½ hour of our arrival. We do not want our parents/staff to wait at school for a prolonged period of time after such a long day. Thank you for your consideration!
6) If you are planning to attend the competition and would like to drive your child home, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
7) As this is our competitive performance closest to home, I hope that many of you will be in the bleachers routing us on! PLEASE REALIZE THAT YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE! It really psyches up our kids to hear you cheer for them!
8) This will be our most challenging competition! The bands performing are all local and of extremely high caliber. They are ALL GRAND CHAMPION GROUPS! Think of this show as the marching band “playoffs.” It will be a challenge to even place highly within our class. However, our kids have worked very hard for this honor and they definitely deserve to be among this elite group! Let’s go!
9) There are 17 bands competing in this event, divided into 5 classes: Class A performs from 3:30-4:30pm; Class 2A performs from 4:30-5:45pm; Class 3A performs from 5:45-6:45pm; Class 4A (that’s us) performs from 7:19-8:30pm; and Class 5A performs from 8:36-9:35pm. We are the first band to perform in our class (4 total bands).
Obviously, we are keeping a close eye on the weather as we head into this week. As Middle Creek is a Wake County School, it is likely that they will be very firm with guidelines. For example, it is possible that WCPSS may cancel all weekend activities. However, until we know something, we will continue to plan for the competition as normal. If the show can be held, it may be moved indoors (performing in the gym) if the weather or field
conditions are too averse to allow an outdoor performance. Regardless of whether WCPSS makes any call, I can tell you that if the day looks like a “wash out,” we will NOT perform. As weather can be very fickle, we probably will not be able to make any decisions until Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed and say your prayers!
YA GOTTA LUV IT!!