Dear marching band student and parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our FINAL HOME FOOTBALL GAME this Friday and the N.W. Guilford H.S. Competition this Saturday.
HOME FOOTBALL GAME (ATHENS VS. ENLOE H.S.)
Friday, October 27, 2023
5:30pm Report to band room. Change into full uniform
5:50pm Warm-up in front (junior) parking area
6:20pm Walk to staging area
6:35pm March to stadium
7:00pm Game Begins
8:00pm Halftime performance.
10:00pm Dismissal (at flagpole near gym entrance)
*Percussion and tuba captain(s) must arrange to have their instrument stands placed in the bleachers before the reporting time. This can be done immediately after school or before the 5:20pm report time.
Students will be wearing their FULL UNIFORM for this performance. Be certain to wear a tee shirt under the uniform, but NOT THE SHOW SHIRT as we will need this for Saturday (unless you want to do some quick washing after the game). Remember to bring black socks and BLACK SHOES. Students must also bring a BACKPACK to carry a water bottle, flip folder with pep band music, lyre, and snack if they do not wish to purchase any from our concessions during the 3rd quarter.
We will be honoring our SENIOR BAND MEMBERS at the beginning of halftime. We will ask that the seniors and their family members line up on the home-side track with 6:00 minutes left in the second quarter (when the band leaves the stands to prepare for their performance). There will be parents there to organize this line-up. At the very beginning of halftime, we will announce each senior and their family members followed by our “Be Musical!” show. We will allow the senior families to stand on the sidelines for a very close “look” at our wonderful production! I cannot THANK our seniors enough for their leadership this past season, the success of which would not be possible without you!
NORTHWEST GUILFORD HIGH SCHOOL
MARCHING BAND COMPETITION
Saturday, October 28, 2023
12:30pm Report to Athens
12:45pm Rehearsal in stadium
3:30pm Inspection (senior parking lot)
3:45pm Depart for NWGHS (via activity bus)
6:00pm Arrive NWGHS; Eat meal provided by boosters
8:30pm Change into comfortable clothes; load instruments and equipment
9:15pm Awards Ceremony
10:00pm Depart NWGHS.
12:15am Arrive at Athens Drive
Important Competition Day Logistics
1) Students need to bring the following when they report to Athens: snack/lunch, a backpack containing anything they may want to do on the way to and from the competition, black socks and their SHOW SHIRT for uniform, any clothes they want to wear back to Athens following the competition (including a hoodie or jacket).
2) Students MUST REMAIN ON CAMPUS following the early afternoon rehearsal as there are many responsibilities involved in the transition time. Bring a lunch/snack to eat during this time.
3) Students will “1/2 dress” for the bus ride to NWGHS: They will wear their SHOW SHIRT, black bibs, black socks, and black shoes. We will put the jacket, hat, and gloves on shortly before our formal warm-up period.
4) Students may change into comfortable clothes following the awards ceremony. These can be the same clothes that they wore in the morning rehearsal. Please remember to bring a hoodie or jacket as the evenings are getting cooler.
5) Our arrival time home is our best guess. We will contact you via the REMIND system as to the progress of our journey home. If we run ahead or behind schedule more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you. We also ask that the students be picked up within ½ hour of our arrival. We do not want our parents/staff to wait at school for a prolonged period of time after such a long day. Thank you for your consideration!
6) If you would like to drive your child home after their performance, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
7) Although this competition is approximately 1.5 hours away by car, we enthusiastically invite all parents, family, and friends to travel to NWGHS to enjoy our performances and route on our band! YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
8) This is a LARGE COMPETITION! There are 26 bands competing in this event, divided into 7 classes. We are in the 6A class along with Apex Friendship H.S. The show begins at 11:30am; the later bands begin performing at 6:00pm.