FOOTBALL AND COMPETITONS SCHEDULE
Dear marching band student and parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our FOURTH HOME FOOTBALL GAME this Friday, and our FIRST COMPETITION this Saturday.
HOME FOOTBALL GAME (ATHENS VS. CARDINAL GIBBONS H.S.)
Friday, September 29, 2023
5:00pm SENIORS report to band room for portrait photos in full uniform
5:20pm Report to band room. Change into full uniform
5:50pm Warm-up in front parking area
6:20pm Walk to staging area
6:35pm March to stadium
7:00pm Game Begins
7:50pm Halftime performance. Due to Homecoming ceremonies, we will only perform the last 2 movements of our show.
*Percussion and tuba captain(s) must arrange to have their instrument stands placed in the bleachers before the reporting time. This can be done immediately after school or before the 5:20pm report time.
Students will be wearing their FULL UNIFORM for this performance. Be certain to wear a shirt under the uniform, but NOT THE SHOW SHIRT as we will need this for Saturday (unless you want to do some quick washing after the game). Remember to bring black socks and BLACK SHOES. Students must also bring their BACKPACK (containing their ball cap, water bottle, flip folder with pep band music, lyre, and snack if they do not wish to purchase any from our concessions). We will wear the ball cap in the stands in lieu of the shako (which we only wear on the field and marching to and from the stadium).
We are inviting 8th grade band members from all schools that potential “feed” Athens to join us for this game! The students will sit among us in the stands but WILL NOT PLAY. Please look out for them to make them feel welcome. They are our future!
WEST CRAVEN HIGH SCHOOL
MARCHING BAND COMPETITION
Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023
10:45am Report to Athens
11:00am Rehearsal in stadium
2:00pm Inspection (senior parking lot)
2:15pm Depart for WCHS (via 2 activity busses). 2.5 hours in busses; 1 stop at Walmart for restrooms
4:45pm Arrive WCHS; Eat meal provided by boosters
7:30pm Change into comfortable clothes; load instruments and equipment
8:45pm Awards Ceremony
9:45pm Depart WCHS. Receive snack for trip home. 2.5 hours in busses; 1 stop at Walmart for restrooms
12:15am Arrive at Athens Drive
Important Competition Day Logistics
1) Students need to bring the following when they report to Athens at 10:45am: lunch, a BACKPACK (containing their ball cap, water bottle and anything they may want to do on the way to and from the competition, BLACK SOCKS and their SHOW SHIRT for uniform, any clothes they want to wear back to Athens following the competition (including a hoodie or light jacket).
2) Students MUST REMAIN ON CAMPUS following the late morning rehearsal as there are many responsibilities involved in the transition time between 12:30-2:00pm. Bring a lunch to eat during this time.
3) Students will “1/2 dress” for the bus ride to WCHS: They will wear their SHOW SHIRT, black bibs, black socks, and black shoes. We will put the jacket, hat, and gloves on shortly before our formal warm-up period at WCHS. The reason why we ½ dress is that it saves a good deal of time once we get on site (you can never trust changing area capacity).
4) Students may change into comfortable clothes following their 6:55pm performance. These can be the same clothes that they wore in the morning rehearsal. Consider bringing a hoodie or light jacket as the evenings will begin to get cooler😀
5) Our arrival time home (12:15pm) is our best guess. We are usually accurate (within the ½ hour); however, due to the multitude of variables that surround events such as this and the number of students involved, adjustments may have to be made. The safety/well-being of the students is our primary concern. We will contact you via the REMIND system as to the progress of our journey home. If we run ahead or behind schedule more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you. We also ask that the students be picked up within ½ hour of our arrival. We do not want our parents/staff to wait at school for a prolonged period after such a long day. Thank you for your consideration!
6) If you are planning to attend the competition and would like to drive your child home, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
7) Please know that we use competition as a tool to achieve further excellence. It is vital to remember that “deep-down,” we compete against ourselves, not against others. This is one of the most challenging aspects of our program; however, it can be one of the most rewarding if we maintain a healthy perspective. The students will always be winners if they work hard, do their best, and behave with “honor, pride, and dignity.”
8) Although this competition is approximately 2 hours away by car, we enthusiastically invite all parents, family, and friends to travel to WCHS to enjoy our performances and route on our band! YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
9) There are 14 bands competing in this event, divided into 4 classes: Class A performs from 2:00-3:35pm; Class AA performs from 4:15-5:50pm. Class AAA (that’s us) performs from 6:55-7:50pm. There is one band in AAAA (Havelock) that performs at 7:55pm. We are the first band to perform in our class (3 total bands).
IT’S TIME TO TAKE THIS WONDERFUL MARCHING BAND ON THE ROAD TO SHARE OUR FINE CHARACTER, ENTHUSIASM AND TALENT WITH COMMUNITIES ACROSS NORTH CAROLINA! WE HAVE SO MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR AND PROUD OF!
Thank you for ALL that you do for our kids and our wonderful band program!