Dear Athens Drive Band Member and Parent,
As this Friday, June 19th is our official “deadline” for marching band registration, I wanted to provide you with an UPDATE on where we are with the schedule. I have spoken with Mr. Mares and our booster board, and we have studied the responses from the family survey question (from registration) dealing with attending band camp at N.C. Wesleyan College.
1) We are still planning to do ALL ACTIVITIES as specified on the schedule, including band camp at N.C.. Wesleyan College. Our Band Booster Board members are working hard to develop a thoughtful plan to keep our students and chaperones as safe as possible at camp.
2) Before making any amendments to our schedule, we want to wait until the end of the month when our governor gives his formal instructions as to upcoming summer/fall activities. We will know for sure whether we will go to N.C. Wesleyan for camp by July 4th.
3) If we are not permitted to attend band camp at N.C. Wesleyan College, but are permitted to meet for rehearsal, Mr. Mares will allow us to rehearse as needed at Athens Drive. For the week of band camp, we would have “all-day” rehearsals. We would access as many fields as possible (for percussion/guard, etc.).
4) We will have marching band even if football is not permitted. We will either attend other athletic events or find other ways to entertain our community.
5) If numbers on activity buses are restricted, we would request families to carpool students to competitions, parades, etc.
The most important message to take away from this letter is that the major decision makers at our school truly want to make this happen and will exercise all necessary means of caution to make it work!
So…SIGN UP! …and keep your fingers crossed!
I sincerely hope to see all of you on July 20th!