Dear Marching Band Student and Parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our HOMECOMING HOME FOOTBALL GAME this Friday, and our SECOND COMPETITION this Saturday.
HOMECOMING FOOTBALL GAME (ATHENS VS. ENLOE H.S.)
Friday, October 8, 2021
5:15 pm *Report to ADHS band room
Change into full uniform
Seniors to have individual photos taken
5:50pm Warm-up in front (junior) parking area
6:20pm Walk to staging area
6:35pm March to stadium
7:00pm Game begins
7:50pm Halftime performance
10:00 pm Dismissal (at flagpole near gym entrance)
*Percussion and tuba captain(s) must arrange to have their instrument stands placed in the bleachers before the reporting time. This can be done immediately after school or before the 5:20pm report time.
Seniors will have individual photos taken before going to the warm-up area in preparation for the “Senior Recognition” program.
Students will be wearing their FULL UNIFORM for this performance. Be certain to wear a tee shirt under the uniform, but NOT THE SHOW SHIRT, and to bring BLACK SOCKS! Students must also bring a BACKPACK to carry a water bottle, flip folder with pep band music, lyre, extra mask, and snack if they do not wish to purchase any from our concessions. Our concession stand will be open during the 3rd quarter where the students may purchase drinks/snacks following their performance.
We are inviting 8th grade band members to join us for the game this evening. These students will sit in their respective sections and watch us when we perform on the field. Reporting time for eighth graders is 6:00pm; they should not bring instruments.
SOUTHVIEW HIGH SCHOOL
MARCHING BAND COMPETITION
October 9, 2021
12:30pm Report to Athens
12:45pm Rehearsal in stadium
3:45pm Inspection (senior parking lot)
4:00pm Depart for SHS (via activity bus) 1hr 40min no stops
5:40pm Arrive SHS – eat meal provided by boosters
7:15pm Change into comfortable clothes, load instruments/equipment
8:45pm Awards Ceremony
9:45pm Depart SHS – receive snack for trip home
11:30pm Arrive Athens Drive
Important Competition Day Logistics
1) Students need to bring the following when they report to Athens at 12:30: lunch, a backpack containing anything they may want to do on the way to and from the competition, black socks and their SHOW SHIRT for uniform, any clothes they want to wear back to Athens following the competition (including a hoodie or light jacket).
2) Students MUST REMAIN ON CAMPUS following the late morning rehearsal as there are many responsibilities involved in the transition time. Bring a lunch to eat during this time.
3) Students will “1/2 dress” for the bus ride to SHS: They will wear their SHOW SHIRT, black bibs, black socks, and black shoes. We will put the jacket, hat, and gloves on shortly before our formal warm-up period at SHS.
4) Students may change into comfortable clothes following their performance. These can be the same clothes that they wore in the morning rehearsal. Consider bringing a hoodie or light jacket as the evenings will begin to get cooler.
5) Our arrival time home (midnight) is our best guess. We will contact you via the REMIND system as to the progress of our journey home. If we run ahead or behind schedule more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you. We also ask that the students be picked up within ½ hour of our arrival. We do not want our parents/staff to wait at school for a prolonged period of time after such a long day. Thank you for your consideration!
6) If you are planning to attend the competition and would like to drive your child home, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
7) There are 16 bands competing in this event, divided into 4 classes: Class A performs from 3:00-3:45; Class AA performs from 3:45-4:45pm; Class AAA performs from 5:40-6:40pm, and Class AAAA (that’s us) performs from 7:00-8:15pm. We are the second to last band to perform in competition for the evening. There are 5 bands in our class, including Apex, Scotland, Midway, and Jack Britt High Schools.
Hope to see many of you at SHS to enjoy our performance and root on our band! Remember, YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE!