Dear marching band student and parent,
The purpose of this letter is to provide information concerning our SENIOR-RECOGNITION HOME FOOTBALL GAME this Friday, and our FOURTH COMPETITION this Saturday.
SENIOR-RECOGNITION FOOTBALL GAME
(ATHENS VS. CARDINAL GIBBONS H.S.)
Friday, October 22, 2021
5:00pm *Report to ADHS band room
Change into full uniform
Remaining students to have individual photos taken in parking lot
5:50pm Warm-up in front (junior) parking area
6:20pm Walk to staging area
6:35pm March to stadium
7:00pm Game begins
7:50pm **Halftime performance
10:00pm Dismissal (at flagpole near gym entrance)
*Percussion and tuba captain(s) must arrange to have their instrument stands placed in the bleachers before the reporting time. This can be done immediately after school or before the 5:20pm report time.
**Seniors will NOT be wearing HATS for this game. They will be recognized with their family immediately before our halftime performance, on the home-side track. All family members are to report to the track when the band clears the stands, approximately 10 minutes before halftime. Seniors will have their photo taken with family members immediately after our halftime performance.
Students will be wearing their FULL UNIFORM for this performance. Be certain to wear a tee shirt under the uniform, but NOT THE SHOW SHIRT, and to bring BLACK SOCKS! Students must also bring a BACKPACK to carry a water bottle, flip folder with pep band music, lyre, extra mask, and snack if they do not wish to purchase any from our concessions. Our concession stand will be open during the 3rd quarter where the students may purchase drinks/snacks following their performance.
We are also inviting 8th grade band members to join us for the game this evening. These students will sit in their respective sections and watch us when we perform on the field. Reporting time for eighth graders is 6:00pm; they should not bring instruments.
UNION PINES HIGH SCHOOL
MARCHING BAND COMPETITION
October 23, 2021
10:30am Report to Athens
10:45am Rehearsal in stadium
1:45pm Inspection (senior parking lot)
2:00pm Depart for UPHS (via activity bus)
Planning 1 hr, 30 min in a activity bus without stops
3:30pm Arrive UPHS
6:25pm Change into comfortable clothes; load instruments and equipment
7:00pm Awards Ceremony
8:00pm Depart UPHS
9:30pm Arrive Athens Drive
Note: Our boosters will provide a nutritious SNACK and beverages for the students upon arrival at UPHS and a snack/beverage for the trip back to Athens following the event. They will NOT be providing a full dinner. Students must bring dinner or money for concession food. Please note that there will not be much time to grab concession food following our performance—it is strongly advised that students bring dinner.
Important Competition Day Logistics
- Students need to bring the following when they report to Athens at 10:30 am lunch and dinner (or money for concession food), a backpack containing anything they may want to do on the way to and from the competition, black socks, and their SHOW SHIRT for uniform, any clothes they want to wear back to Athens following the competition (including a hoodie or light jacket).
- Students MUST REMAIN ON CAMPUS following the late morning rehearsal as there are many responsibilities involved in the transition time. Bring a lunch to eat during this time.
- Students will “1/2 dress” for the bus ride to UPHS: They will wear their SHOW SHIRT, black bibs, black socks, and black shoes. We will put the jacket, hat, and gloves on shortly before our formal warm-up period at UPHS.
- Students may change into comfortable clothes following their performance. These can be the same clothes that they wore in the morning rehearsal. Consider bringing a hoodie or light jacket as the evenings will begin to get cooler.
- Our arrival time home (9:30 pm) is our best guess. We will contact you via the REMIND system as to the progress of our journey home. If we run ahead or behind schedule for more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you. We also ask that the students be picked up within ½ hour of our arrival. We do not want our parents/staff to wait at school for a prolonged period of time after such a long day. Thank you for your consideration!
- If you are planning to attend the competition and would like to drive your child home, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
- There are 17 bands competing in this event, divided into 4 classes: Class A performs from 1:00-2:30; Class AA performs from 2:30-3:45; Class AAA performs from 4:05-5:10, and Class AAAA (that’s us) performs from 5:50-6:20. We are the last band to perform in the competition for the evening. There are 2 bands in our class, the other being Jesse Carson H.S.
Hope to see many of you at UPHS to enjoy our performance and root on our band! Remember, YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE!